Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Pie Time

It was the week before thanksgiving, but I just couldn't wait, I had pie on my mind.

While spending some time working the counter at a lovely neighborhood dessert shop I discovered a few things:

1) Working for a guido who thinks he's smarter than you is not that much fun
2) I look pretty good in a little hat
3) I really love muffins and chocolate pecan pie.

I decided it was time I used my baking skills to tackle the pie Paula Dean style and I gotta say, it was the easiest pie I've ever made. My mom is a pro baker and we always made everything from scratch in my house, but when I discovered ready made pie crusts I got a little lazy. All the rolling and refridgeration seemed like too much after a long day at work, so I decided to go the lazy route care of Pilsbury. I went with the deep crust and it was definitely the right choice. At that point all I did was fill the crust with pecans (about 1.5 cups) and pour in the filling which consisted of:

3 eggs
1 cup of dark corn syrup
1/2 cup o' sugar
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp. of melted unsalted butter
1 tsp. vanilla

I would have added in some bourbon, but sadly I didn't have any handy at the time. I popped it in the oven at 350 for about 50 minutes and this is what I got:



It was pretty good.

Happy Baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment