Thursday, February 10, 2011

Why don't we do it in the road?

On a recent trip to Asia, this little wonton lost her inhibitions and yes....cheated on her boyfriend. Her lover in crime? Cambodian streetfood.


Siem Reap, Cambodia was not at all what I had expected. After years of fantasizing about Angkor, I found that it did in fact live up to all of the hype. It truly is a magnificent and magical place. The town of Siem Reap however left an unpleasant aftertaste similar to the morning following a night of heavy drinking and body shots. Come to think of it - is that what happened? The popular "Pub Street" is the focus of the town's center cluttered with overpriced restaurants and Western-style clubs with DJs spinning til the wee hours of the night. (Keep in mind I mean "overpriced" in relative terms to other cities in Asia where you can get a plate of noodles for $3. The restaurants on Pub Street instead have the audacity to charge $10 for a plate of noodles! Shame shame) Forget all that touristy hullabaloo! The best spot to to be is on the street. About a dozen restaurants fill the center of the old market area with lawn chairs and folding tables serving up some of the freshest seafood and most delicious curries. Which restaurant did we end up choosing? The restaurant with the ladyboy waitress. We sat down and immediately got a big bottle of Angkor beer. The rest of our meal would be decided by whatever description made us salivate the most. The end result: stir fried flat noodles, fish amok curry and some of the tastiest spring rolls you'll ever have.
fried flat noodles


I'm pretty much a noodle whore. And I've had quite a number of noodle dishes seeing as how I'm Chinese and we Chis like to have a banquet dinner for practically every family event possible. And what do those banquets always end with? Noodles. My favorite is the broad wide noodle - I loves me some chow fun - and this dish was a delicious and flavorful cousin of the noodle I know and love. Complete with egg, morning glory (which is god) and a light heavenly brown sauce that adds just the right touch of melt in your mouth goodness.
amok fish curry


Amok fish curry is a traditional Khmer dish with coconut milk, ginger, tumeric and other spices. It's simply wonderful and you must have it.


And these little diddies to my left were perfectly crispy spring rolls filled with chicken, vermicelli noodles and vegetables. The best way to eat them is wrapping them in lettuce and dipping them into the fish sauce. The best part about this whole meal? It was all under $10 including our beer! Siem Reap, I think I'll be seeing you again quite soon. In fact, why did I ever leave you, my sweet?

No comments:

Post a Comment